When you buy home insurance, it’s never a good idea to compromise on the quality of the cover.
Home insurance doesn’t need to be expensive. With so many deals on the market it’s a matter of finding the right one for you.
The first step to consider when choosing a home insurance is to decide what type of cover do you need.
What are the types of contents insurance available?
The building insurance covers you for the bricks and mortar of your home.
This cover will pay for repair or rebuild of your home due to fire, earthquakes, floods, falling trees etc, however it pays to check the small print of your policy to make sure there are no exclusions.
The contents insurance cover on the other hand covers your home content such as television, fridge, laptops etc against loss or damage by theft, fire, floods, water leakage etc.
How do I reduce the cost of my home insurance?
To cut the cost of your home insurance premium follow these golden rules:
- Don’t make a claim on your home insurance unless you have to.
- Make your home secure. Fit approved locks to doors and windows.
- Install approved burglar alarm and join a neighbourhood watch scheme.
- Shop around for the most competitive quote
- Increase the excess – higher the excess the lower the premium
- Avoid areas prone to flooding