Supermarket > Petrol, Motoring and Travel > European Health Insurance Card

What is EHIC - European Health Insurance Card

An EHIC card covers treatment in the EU

EHIC stands for European Health Insurance Card.

If you are a UK resident you are entitled to medical treatment that becomes necessary at a reduced cost or sometimes free when temporarily visiting a European Union country.

What countries allow me to receive medical treatment?

  • Any country in the EU
  • Iceland
  • Liechtenstein
  • Norway
  • Switzerland

What medical treatment is covered under a EHIC card?

Only treatment provided under the state scheme is covered.

Save on Flights + Hotels
Compare the leading travel comparison sites in seconds and see how much you can save.

However, to obtain treatment you will need to take a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) with you.

The above is taken from the EHIC official website ( and we advise you seek all required advice from the site.

On the site you may apply for a card, renew a card or apply for a replacement card.

What information do I need to get an EHIC card?

You will be required to provide your personal details including either your NHS number or NI (national insurance) number.

  • You can also contact the EHIC enquiry line on 0845 605 0707 (+44 191 212 7500 if calling from abroad)

E111 form

The E111 form has been replaced by the EHIC.

Cost of EHIC

EHIC cards are free of charge and you can apply full online.

The card lasts for up to 5 years.

Does having EHIC negate the need for travel insurance?

Absolutely not.

IF you are entitled to EHIC then you should have one as it is free of charge but you still need to have travel insurance.

The EHIC does not cover some costs such as the cost of having you sent back to the UK.

Some travel insurance companies require you to have EHIC and some will waive their excess if you do have one.